Skip to main content

The Wedding Album



Big Update: I found out the name of the attendants! Read the Postscript at the the end.

Update: I now have the album and have updated the pictures.


My father died 6 months ago. My mom is in long term care with dementia that is getting worse. As the eldest of 5, born less than a year after their marriage, I have become the keeper of their memories - and their stuff. So I'm creating this blog to work through my thoughts and share what I know. Maybe this will mean something to others, maybe not. I just know that it feels right to not keep all this to myself.

We sold our family home after Mom moved into long term care and as Dad and I were packing up the house (I was living with them), there were some things that we wanted to keep. At that time, I took some items belonging to my grandfather, who my parents lived with from when they were married until he died a decade later, as well as some Blue Mountain pottery, vintage housewares, and a box of older sports books. (I still have them, hoping to get them to good homes. They're about the Leafs and the Jays  so if you know anyone...) I'm sure they will show up in later posts.


The wedding photographers

My dad took the family photos (boxes of them), as well as items that meant something to Mom. He didn't value too much for himself (except his copy of Perry Como's autograph). So, a month ago I spent an afternoon at my sister's going through Dad's things, designating what I will take and where other things will go. And now, a lot of those items are coming to me. 

My siblings have no interest in them, preferring a couple of items that meant something to them and their memories. I can't let go so easily because I know what they meant to my Mom, what they represented to her as she started building a home. There's also some items from before her marriage that I have as well. Other posts will talk about these things but right now I want to focus on the item that was in my mind this morning. 

The Wedding Album. 

The image above is an approximation. It's still at my sister's so I can't post a picture of it. I'll update this post when I have it. Or should I say, when my Mom has it. When I saw her a couple of days ago I asked her if she wanted it with her and she said she did. There's a drawer I can put it in and I can pull it out every once and a while for her to look through when I visit. 

Every time in the past when we've looked at it together, she's told me who people are. I don't know if she can do that anymore. More likely, she'll ask me. However, I don't know who everyone in her wedding party is. I recognize the ones I interacted with as a kid but that's it. The first page, which has spaces for everyone in the bridal party, is blank. I wish now I had asked Dad to fill that in before he died. 

My aunt/godmother was in the wedding party so I'm hoping she'll be able to tell me.  She'll probably know all Mom's attendants, as they were all family. But the groomsmen? It was 55 years ago. (My dad went into the hospital shortly after their anniversary and didn't make it out. Their anniversary was the last time they saw each other.) I do have another source for that. In the last few years of Dad's life, I helped him get back in touch with friends he had as a young man. When he died, it turned out he had a network and they all talked to me. They would probably know. 

So it's not a hopeless endeavour. Just a sad one. Because neither one of them ever felt it necessary to fill those spaces in. And now my mother looks at the picture of the two of them on their wedding day by her bedside and asks me, "who is that?"

Most of the people in that album are gone now. I don't want them to just disappear. I want to retain those memories because Mom no longer can. They mean something to me.


Postscript:

In going through the boxes, I found this. Would have been in my grandfather's things. It's my mother's handwriting. Huzzah!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On the anniversary of my father's death

  The three of us at the official opening of The Village of Erin Meadows Retirement A year ago, I lost my father. At the time, I started a blog post but I didn't have words. I didn't have much of anything, really. In the interim, my brother John has written some beautiful posts  about him, which I don't think I have the ability to match. But here I am, at 6 in the morning a few days before the anniversary, with this story forming in my brain that didn't let me sleep.  The thing is, I can't really talk about my dad without talking about my mom. My most recent memories, and the thing that really bonded us close, was being her caregivers. I moved back home almost a decade ago when I had my hysterectomy so they could take care of me. And then I stayed to take care of them. At some point, I don't know when, she had a stroke which caused damage to her brain. I didn't know for the longest time what had happened, as she unfortunately had been told by doctors her who...

My parent's bed

Note: This was originally published on the one big umbrella blog on this date. The bed was sold a couple of weeks later. They celebrated their 55th anniversary July 16th. A week after that, Dad went into the hospital and never came out. I have to sell my parents' bed. I don't want to do it. However, the rest of the sibs are busy taking care of Dad so they are asking me to do it. They don't care that it's making me an emotional wreck. It's a bed. Get over it. It's more than that to me. 

Dad's Jays gear

  My dad's great passion in the last decades of his life (outside his family) was the Blue Jays. So many of my memories (and my siblings) of my dad revolve around going to Jays games, or talking about the Blue Jays. (Dad reliably would complain about the "bunch of bums" whenever a game wasn't going well. I loved throwing it back at him when the team would come back and win.) When sorting through Dad's clothes, I couldn't bear to give these away. My brothers bought them for dad to wear when he attended games. I don't have all of it - my nephew got his classic bomber jacket, the hats and caps I didn't see, but these two items are important. His Donaldson shirt and his hoodie, which is a little big for me but I can get away with wearing. Dad was at the very first Jays game ever and my first game was only a few weeks later. (Yes, that beauty above is also in my possession.) For the first few years, it was very economical to take us to the ballpark. We were...